Monday, July 06, 2009

photo: Martin G. Wienert; former cooling towers, Zeche Zollverein (2009)






day in July
a child looks up at
the cooling tower


day in July
father's explanations about
the cooling tower


day in July
with my yellow parasol
near the cooling tower

(AW, 2009)





cooling towers are part of my Ruhrgebiet-(Ruhr-area)world, you find them in many cities of the region where I live -- it was so strange, we (kids) heard often the expression cooling tower but there w
as no cooling for us in the summer heat (the cooling towers had only a nice name ... they were used for industrial purposes)






3 comments:

Ralf Bröker said...

Nice set which makes me think about excursions with the family: once I was the child, now I am the father. And your cooling towers are my oaks.

Unfortunately I have no parasol from Tokyo, but at the moment the story about roasting acorns as "ersatz coffee" makes the whole thing interesting enough.

Oh, I never believed the story, when my Dad told us ...

Best wishes
Ralf

haiku-shelf (Angelika Wienert) said...

"...once I was the child, now I am the father. And your cooling towers are my oaks..."

I liked it very much to read about your oaks, the "ersatz coffee" etc..

Best wishes,
Angelika

p.s.: Have you ever seen (and tasted)Kunsthonig?

Devika Jyothi said...

liked them all, Angelika :)

Earlier when I worked at a factory we had this cooling tower there, and it would take me to the basics of thermodynamics everytime I went that way :)

these towers have an interesting structure,

wishes,
devika